Hometown: Westchester, NY
Current Obsession: Learning about other people’s obsessions
Favorite Color: Purple
Favorite Band: Smash Mouth
Favorite Quote: “Love is that which enables choice. Love is always stronger than fear. Always choose on the basis of love.”
If Spencer were a Greek mythological god, he’d be the god of hilarity. We’ve been friends for seven years and we’ve never stopped cracking jokes. He endlessly impresses me with his charisma and creativity. He has a contagious laugh that turns even the grumpiest frown into a goofy smile. Craziness seems to find Spencer wherever he goes, but he always faces it with a grin and a joke in his back pocket.
Spencer’s Bucket List
– Release an album. Always wanted to do one with songs of every genre.
– Visit Asia: primarily China, Japan, and South Korea
– Do a stand-up gig
– Impact someone “super positively, like life-changing. When I’m 80, I need someone to come up to me and say ‘you changed my life, Spencer’. If that doesn’t happen I’m going to be pissed. I’m going to be on my death bed, like ‘any second now, any second now.’”
– Be in a Renaissance Faire and be the jester or the 3 o’clock storyteller for all the kids. Or the guy that introduces the jousters.
– Own a boat and call it the SS Luck, which can also mean Spencer Schilsky Luck
– Get a Master’s degree. “People underrate how cool it is to be a master of something. I don’t even care what it is; I know someone who has hers in ‘imagination’, so she’s a master of imagination.”
– Become a mall Santa. “They wouldn’t know I’m Jewish – I’m a big fat dude with a beard. People love Santa Claus, he’s a representation of happiness and giving.”
– Have a family
– Be on “The Price is Right”, one of his oldest dreams. “When I was little, I used to watch it with my grandma. Everyone on that show is so happy. It was the best part of staying home sick.”
– Learn calligraphy. “I’ve always been fascinated with quill pens and the start of story books when they have that really elaborately drawn letter.”
– Have a pug, because “who doesn’t want to own a pug?”
– Become a count, or a jarl.
– Own a house, a happy house. “I never liked mansions. My house is warm, friendly, homey. That’s something I’ve always wanted. I’m never going to have million dollar furniture or rooms that aren’t used. That’s the dumbest thing. A house is meant to be lived in. Life is messy.”
– Be a teacher, “it’s one of the only things I could do the rest of my life and be happy.”
– “Stop biting my nails, it’s my worst habit. It’s worse than cigarettes; it drives me crazy about myself. When I was little, I’d lick off the pepper spray my parents put on my nails. I love spicy things.”
– Go on one of those crazy hikes that are days long
– Conquer fear of roller coasters. “I don’t even do merry-go-rounds. I hate rides. A lot.”
– Have a yellow mustang with white racing stripes. “It’s my dream car since I was a kid. I don’t really care about cars or driving fast, but in the back of my mind, I’ve always wanted it. And white stripes are important, because you always see yellow mustangs with black stripes.”
– Actually learn how to play an instrument well. “I’m decent at some, my best is a harmonica. I always have it on me.”